So… a LONG time ago – there was this thing going around on FB where friends were asking each other to put together a list of 25 things that most people likely didn’t know about them. Here’s mine:
1. I have a tendency to be brutally (but gently) honest people – often telling them things that no one else has the courage to say. I’ve lost more than a few friends because of this. In the end, I don’t really mind…
2. My very favourite move of all time is “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead”. I love random order and subtext… it’s pretty much how I think.
3. I have one surviving grandmother, a brother, a dad, a mom and two step-parents who all live in Ontario. We're not close. In fact, I mostly feel like other than my wife & kids, I have no family.
4. I have one unrequited love, one ex who I still call my friend, and one ex who really broke me – hard.
5. Someone once suggested that I might develop an allergy to chocolate. The thought of this was enough to make me cry.
6. Some of the things I used to want to be when I grew up: Firefighter, Truck-driver, Helicopter Search & Rescue Pilot, Homeopathic Doctor, Lawyer, Marine Biologist...
7. I once read a story about a woman on the Titanic who refused to leave the ship without her Great Dane. After the boat sank, her body was seen in the water with her arms frozen around her dog. My Great Dane was one of my greatest loves. My heart is convinced that I would have given my life for him. Same with my Bulldog. But if I really think about it, I have to admit to a shadow of doubt. This really bothers me.
8. When I was a kid, someone I loved told me I sounded terrible when I sang. I didn’t sing in front of another human being for over 20 years. In 2004, I was fortunate enough to encounter a healer who was able to help me release that. Now, not only am I willing to sing in front of pretty much anyone – I help other people find their voices too…
9. I often feel like no matter how much older I get – I’m really just a teenage boy playing make-believe inside a grown-up skin. I asked my dad about this once. He said he pretty much feels the same way.
10. I am a VERY private person. The idea of posting this list in a public forum is agonizing for me. I am also extremely earnest… ditto for writing it.
11. I am a poet.
12. When I was little, I was fascinated by the idea of god. In my quest to understand – I went to Sunday school for a while. What I remember most is that they gave me a goldfish on the first day, as a reward for attending. My cat ate it. The next week, they gave me another one. It jumped out of its bowl & suffocated on air. The teacher didn’t like that I kept asking “why”. She kept feeding me some trite line about god working in mysterious ways. I quit going to Sunday school.
13. I know a lot of people, but I have very few close friends. I find it difficult to maintain superficial relationships. I also suck at keeping in touch with people who are far away.
14. I like to keep things organized & tidy. It is important to me that my house is kept clean. I alphabetize my CDs (yes, I still have those), sort my books according to g